Sunday, October 7, 2012

Review: One Page Per Day

First of all, hello everyone. Sorry I've been gone for a little while. I had a bunch of tests and papers to get done, and I had to pick between the blog, the mini-Nano and the rest of my work. I'm on a 6 day streak on 750 words, which is awesome. I'm loving the cute little badges they give me :)
This is for a 5 day streak. 
Cute little penguin!

Second, and most importantly, my review of One Page Per Day! It's touted as an "online typewriter". You are only expected to write one page, hence the title. Supposedly "you are free from the tyranny of the infinite page".

Usefulness: 3/4 out of 5

Now, technically I could just say 3.5. But if I start using decimals, my "search by score" tag list will be way too long. Plus, the different scores are under different circumstances. 

I gave OPPD a 3 for use during NaNoWriMo. Writing only one page is not entirely useful when you need to write 1667 words a day. (Which, by the way is 6 pages long in Courier New size 12 and 5 pages in Times New Roman, size 12). Writing one out of 6 pages online doesn't seem particularly valuable. 

However, I do think this site is totally worthwhile for year-round use. Writing one page a day would be great to keep you in practice, something that practically every article about writing suggests you do.

Fun: 1 out of 5

Yeah, so, there isn't much fun about this site. In fact, it kind of makes me angry. At the bottom of the front page are the "Rave Reviews". These are lies. The quotes from Toni Morrison, Mark Twain and Norbet Platt have nothing to do with the site, but instead are about writing in general. This is cheating and I do not approve of it. If you want to include reviews, include real, actual reviews from your users, so people can have a complete understanding of how this is supposed to work. 

Hipster: 2 out of 5

Another one of those "I have no idea what this is, but someone suggested it, so I'm gonna review it!". It seems quite nice and, like I said, a 4 for anything outside of Nano. But you have to find it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment