Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: Yarny

Just like all the other "write online" tools, Yarny is pretty sweet. In fact, it is probably the overall frontrunner. It's a writing platform that can work both long-term and short-term. You can use with or without an account (my favorite!) And the interface is rather pleasing, so I can't even complain about that! Hopefully I can come back in a year and say that this site is Dear to My Heart. Fingers crossed!

Usefulness: 5 out of 5

So, Yarny is really great. It is actually totally unfair for me to try to explain it, when Yarny does is so well. (The picture does enlarge, if you click it, and was in fact PrntScr'D straight from the Yarny website.)
Not only is Yarny an online text editor, but it allows you to tag your text and separate it into different "snippets", all of which are searchable. If you have an account, you can save what you've written to look at later. And, even ore delightful is that little section called "People/Places/Things". It allows you to store your research and information pertaining to your story. Genius, no? If Yarny and 750words combined to create a fantastic online word processor with motivational badges, this thing would be 6/5, maybe even a 7/5.


Fun: 3 out of 5

The aesthetic of Yarny is quite nice. It makes me happy. Most of the fun points for this site comes from how very nice it is too look at, without infuriating me during the writing process.

(Thinking about it, it's really hard for any word processor to get high marks for fun, if you look at it objectively. I think I find things fun that most people don't. Like... reading books online or arguing about the minute details of things.)


Hipster: 3 out of 5

So, this was a tough decision. I knew NOTHING about Yarny before trolling through the NaNo forums to find things to post about. However, it is also a sponsor of NaNoWriMo, so it is also plastered all over the website. I gave it a 3 based on my own personal confusion at its existence. Dislcaimer: This is a totally biased result.

No comments:

Post a Comment