Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Rinkworks Name Generator!

Rinkworks is one of my favorite places on the web, specifically because of their Book-A-Minute series. As someone who is from the Internet, you would've thought I'd already know about their name gen. Nope. Not a clue. This is proof that people on the internet don't look past what they're looking for/at.

Usefulness: 5 out of 5

Let me tell you why this is so useful, because I've been giving a lot of perfect scores for these gens. THIS is useful because it is the first and only generator I've found that truly let's you control what is generated. The Advanced System has a damn instruction manual to teach you how to gnerate names based on YOUR personal preferences. I would explain it here, but it's quite long and honestly, I haven't completely mastered it yet. But it's the perfect generator for someone who's attempting to build their own culture. You can define vowels, consonants or even strings of letters to include in the names.

And, say that's too much work for you (as it would be for me in the midsts of NaNo-frenzy). Rinkworks also has a thorough "Simply" interface that cane generate names from, if I can count correctly, 33 different categories. Including Pokemon. And, well, you'll always have me at Pokemon.

Fun: 2 out of 5

 The Advanced interface really drops points for the overall fun. Yes, I want to give it a 5 out of 5 because POKEMON, but I didn't. That was responsible of me, wasn't it? Due to the fact that you have to read a long instruction manual to use this tool, it really drags you down.

Hipster: 4 out of 5

The actual Rinkworks site is more of a 3 out of 5. The Book-A-Minute thing is pretty damn funny and gets visitors coming. The Name Generator, however, is hidden enough that I didn't see it until now (which I'd like to say is years after first finding the site, but I honestly can't remember). While this could just mean that I'm blind as a bat or oblivious, I'm going to instead assume that it's just hidden away and only sneaky people can find it. It's gentler on my ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment