Thursday, September 20, 2012

Review: Fractal World Generator

This is a really cool generator I get to review today. This generator creates planets. Yes, readers, whole planets! Combine with, say, Chaotic Shiny's culture and constellation generators and you could have a home for your novels for the rest of your life.

Usefulness: 3 out of 5

I think this generator has a limited popularity. Yes, it's crazy convenient to have a world map generated for you in seconds, with the option to adjust certain parameters. However, any WriMo who needs an entire planet created for their novel is probably going severely overboard.

The generator has multiple different style planets as well, which means you can create your home world and the planets in the system, which can be incredibly useful for SciFi writers who may need a plethora of planets to discuss.

Fun: 3 out of 5

This is totally biased. In all honesty, I should give this a 1 out of 5. So, for those of you who don't care about my biases, just assume that's what it is.

However, I must say, it's really cool to just magically create a planet at the click of a button. I like to think I'm playing god and "Letting there be light" all throughout the universe. So, if, like most writers, you have a serious God complex, this can actually be pretty enjoyable.

Hipster: 4 out of 5

I have no idea what this website is. I have never actually looked into it until now. You can generally find a link to this generator on writers' forums, hidden in their somewhere, but only to the generator. However, the side links say that it has multiple generators involved (that I have never heard of anyone using). Obviously, this will involve a second review to determine the value of the rest of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment